Which one is better-cold calling or cold emailing? It’s a difficult question to answer. While cold emailing is less invasive than cold calling, it’s also less personal. And although cold calling has existed longer, it’s also less popular.
To determine which method, cold calling or cold emailing, is right for you, we’ve compiled a list of pros and cons below.
The Pros of Cold Emailing
- It’s easy to set up. Email addresses are more readily available than direct lines.
- It’s easy to execute. You can use templates and automate follow-ups.
- It’s inoffensive. Cold emails are less pushy than phone calls.
- It’s trackable. With email tracking software, you can figure out which recipients are opening your emails.
The Cons of Cold Emailing
- It’s easily overlooked. Emails can be flagged as spam.
- It’s impersonal. Cold emails tend to be robotic rather than personal.
- It’s one-sided. Plenty of cold emails won’t get a response.
The Pros of Cold Calling
- It’s simple. You don’t need internet or a web cam.
- It’s personal. It gives you a chance to connect in a more personal way.
- It’s distraction-proof. Both parties have to be engaged in the conversation.
- It’s predictable. You don’t have to start from scratch each time; you can develop a flexible script.
The Cons of Cold Calling
- It’s pushy. So much so that most people won’t answer your call.
- It’s uncomfortable. Calling someone who isn’t interested is awkward.
- It’s difficult to find a direct line. Plenty of your calls are going to the wrong place.
Conclusion…You Should Do Both
Cold calling and cold emailing are effective for different reasons. Cold callers get instant results but risk alienating their prospects by coming across too pushy. Cold emailers can take advantage of automation tools to save time. But formulaic emails may impede results.
When it comes to B2B sales, there is no one size fits all. Some businesses prefer cold calling while others favor cold emailing. Ideally, you should attempt both, track your results, and come to your own conclusion about which one works better for you.
How to Track Cold Emailing
With our Email Tracking tool, you can find out which recipients are opening your proposals, invoices, and contracts. We send out real-time alerts every time a recipient clicks on your email. In other words, we track everything that happens after you hit “send.”
In addition to tracking your emails, we also offer a template-making feature. With the click of a button, you can insert a template message into your email. This is especially helpful if you’re evaluating the merits of different cold email templates. You can use our Email Tracking tool to compare and contrast the results for different email templates. Find out which templates are getting clicked on and which ones you should phase out.
Sign up for a free trial today and find out if your cold prospecting is working.